Friday, June 22, 2018

Alternate Universe

Long ago there was a Star Trek episode where the intrepid Star Trek crew were thrust into an alternative universe aboard the Enterprise. In that  universe Spock had a beard and in a Machiavellian way had overthrown Kirk and taken over the ship. They managed to persuade "bad Spock" to help them get back to their world.

I propose an alternative universe speech from the President in the Oval Office a few days after the 2016 election:

Good evening my fellow Americans. I speak to you in my first time as president from the Oval Office. Now that the election is over, the inauguration complete, and I am settling into my role as your president, I want to speak to you on some important issues of the day.

As a first time candidate for political office I was perhaps unprepared for the intensity of a presidential election, the day-to-day back and forth. I'm a New York guy who speaks my mind, so I often found myself battling the opposing candidates, responding to attacks, and yes, launching some of my own. I regret my part in dragging down the discourse, and I hope my opponents feel the same way. However, being president is not being a candidate. It is time for me and for everyone else to put aside personal attack politics and focus on the needs of our country. I'm retiring the nicknames and will focus all of my energy toward driving our agenda and working with Congress to achieve our goals. Please watch my Twitter account for a daily reminder of what we are trying to accomplish.

One of the first things I wish to address is the attack on our democracy by the Russian nation. While I hope to have a positive relationship with President Putin and the Russian nation, I cannot as a guardian of our democratic institutions stand by and ignore the clear evidence that individuals and institutions close to the Russian government attempted to interfere with this election. Tonight I am directing the following as a response:

  • I have summoned FBI Director James Comey and leaders of the Justice Department to the White House for an update on the investigation into Russian interference. I have signed a Presidential directive to ensure that investigators have all of the resources our nation can provide to get to the bottom of this. I have instructed Mr. Comey to submit a monthly report to my office and demanded that he vigorously investigate any individuals who participated in this attack. If anyone employed by my campaign was involved, they should be prosecuted to the extent the law allows. In my administration no one will be above the law. I expect a full report from Mr. Comey on my desk no later than six months from today. If investigators need more time they will be given it, but a matter of this urgency should be given top priority.
  • I am appointing a Presidential Commission to examine this interference from a policy perspective. I have asked former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice and former C.I.A. director Leon Panetta to serve as co-chairs, with the remaining members appointed in equal numbers by me and the Democratic leaders in Congress. The commission will examine all aspects of election interference and recommend changes in law to prevent it from happening again. I will present their recommendations to Congress and demand expeditious approval to protect our nation.
  • Today I called the Russian ambassador to the United States to the Oval Office to meet with me. I told him in no uncertain terms that the United States of American will not tolerate this interference in our electoral process. I will ask Mr. Putin for a meeting at the earliest possible time and relay the same message to him unequivocally. Hopefully we can build a good relationship with Russia, but friendly nations do not behave this way toward one another. If it is true that the Russians attempted to influence the election in may favor, they badly miscalculated who I am. American democracy is our birthright and I will fight for it.

Of course, Russia is not the only issue that we face today. While I will save many of these issues for my State of the Union address, I wish to speak from the heart on the issue of immigration. During the campaign I said many things about our immigration system. I believe that our immigration laws need to be updated and that a nation needs strong borders. However, I also understand the plight of those currently living here in undocumented status, the Dreamers, and those who attempt to enter our country seeking a better life. I campaigned on building a wall and still believe that this is one of many things that need to happen to modernize our immigration system. I also recognize that we speak with many voices as a nation on this subject and that finding a path we can agree on will be difficult.

In a meeting with the Congressional leadership today I committed to working with them to develop a comprehensive immigration law to replace our current system.  The key components of this law will include border security, reforms in legal immigration, increases in courts to handle immigration cases, and resolving the status of those currently here. I asked them to erase all of their "red lines" and told them I would do so myself. I want a proposal that will receive a bipartisan majority in both houses of Congress and I want it during my first 90 days in office. We may not satisfy the most zealous advocates on either side of this debate, but we will do what we were sent here to do...govern this nation in a responsible manner. I will be holding weekly meetings with Congressional leadership in the White House, and will continue to do so until we can see action.

You elected me in part because I'm not part of the status quo, the inaction that has plagued our government under Congresses and presidents of both parties on challenging issues.  I urge my partners in Congress to throw out their preconceived ideas, their political talking points, their inflammatory rhetoric, and their appeals to the extreme bases that often exist in all parties. I commit to doing the same and will instruct all in my administration to do so. If we work together we will find a common sense solution to this vexing problem. 

In the coming days and weeks you will hear me discuss health care, problems in the Middle East, excessive regulation, our crumbling infrastructure, and many other issues our nation faces. I approach all of these issues as president of all the people, working with anyone who has a good idea that will improve the issues we face. I will bring in experts from both parties to advise me on these issues and will continue to assemble some of the best and most creative minds in the country to serve in my administration.

The Bible notes that there is a season to all things. Tonight marks the season in my administration to get to work on the most important issues we face.  The election is over and it is time to work together to accomplish great things.  I will not hesitate to speak my mind, but I will always do so from the point of view of wanting to move us forward as a nation. I ask you to pray for me and for our elected representatives as we begin this journey together.

Thank you......and God bless the United States of America.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearings Smearings

I watched and listened to part of today's Congressional hearing with Peter Strzok on the veritable hot seat. I don't know that I ca...